Zack Parker

Came the last night of sadness

The silver cup was cool as he cradled it in his hands, but steam rose from the black coffee it held. It was a bright day, the sky blue and crowded with vehicles he could see and air control signals he could not. On the ground near him, people streamed down the pavement in the mostly neat and professional clothes that marked this particular district as one that had been unofficially claimed by the bureaucrats of one of the Alliance's headquarters and their soldiers.

He focused his gaze on Arinea, the asari his buddy Renee had asked him to babysit. Show around. Teach about humans? He wasn't sure what an anthropologist would want to know about humans. Didn't know what was of note. Humanity was so droll to him. Humans were no longer unique since they'd found bigger and badder intelligent life beyond the Sol System.

"-but since we've found the Relay near Pluto, our technology jumped to what you lot have. Which means back here, we're reaping the benefits. One of my buddies has a pretty sweet prosthetic." Zack was explaining with the strong feeling that none of this was new to Arinea. "Do you like that?" He gestured to the drink Arinea had and then he jumped as a blast hit them.

Some people staggered backwards. A ceramic vase tipped and smashed, leaving a dirt pile and sad flowers on the ground. Before Zack had a chance to get up, sound hit them. A deep drone and a sharp screech. A sound that silenced other sounds. He got up and looked towards where the shock wave had come from. Pillars of smoke danced with metallic legs of strange machines that reminded him of cuttlefish. One paused and seemed to gather energy. His suspicion confirmed when it released a pale blue light that Zack supposed was hot, incandescent. He was neither of those things. Shocked first. Then cool as he recognised that the machines were attacking HQ. That he'd need to travel in the other direction to effectively mobilise with his unit. Dribbling into the conflict in one's and two's with scant information would help no one.

The airspace above them buzzed like a hornet's nest.

"This way." Zack was unarmed, he hadn't thought he needed to carry in London. He grabbed Arinea's arm, not wanting to lose her, as the flow of humanity forced them away from the conflict.

His cup spun on the ground where he'd dropped it and was kicked into the gutter. The crush of bodies fleeing grew faster. Someone fell behind them. They were crushed.

Arinea looked over her shoulder at what she assumed was a massive warship as it attacked Alliance HQ. She took a deep breath to settle her nerves, she had heard the rumors about Shepard warnings but she didn’t think the attack would come so soon if at all. She shouted to Zack over the sound of people screaming and explosions. “Do you think this is the Reaper attack that Shepard warned about?”

Just as they rounded a corner near the end of the block they got a great view of the industrial district two miles away get bombarded from orbit by a Reaper main cannon. The resulting shockwave hit both Zack and Arinea sending them sprawling to the ground. Around them windows shattered and sky cars crashed into the sides of building and sidewalks. All Arinea could hear was the sound those horrible spaceships made. A deep drone and a sharp screech that heralded in the arrival of two more Reapers down on the London skyline.

Arinea used he biotics to push herself to standing and pulled Zack up from the ground. She looked around for a direction that didn’t have a Reaper coming down on it. She turned back to Zack speaking quickly “What is your plan here? Do you have any short range communications you could use?”   

"Thanks!" Zack gasped. His ears rang from the impact and from the cacophony. His mind raced, wanted to settle on theories and wonderings. Not helpful. In moments like these, life should crystallise to the bare necessary facts. That there was a swarm of machines and ships and the strength of their fire power was ripping apart London and the shreds of resistance. A ship paused and disgorged bipedal creatures. Too far away to make out details. A plan? Survive. The first step to survival? Get out of the crush.

He didn't answer Arinea's questions about the comms, or the reapers. Time enough to discuss that later, if they were lucky. Zack snagged her arm and tugged her off to the side, his eyes were on the ground, searching. Searching. There! A flash of round steel, hot under the sun. He dragged her over, shoving aside other people until they reached the entrance to the sewer.

"Lift it up." With biotics. No time to waste with his blunt fingers scrabbling for purchase. Biotics was the right tool for this particular job.

Arinea nods and flicks her wrist as it glows blue with her biotics. The manhole cover slides off and over. Just as they were about to descend into the underground the sky filled with falling pieces of alliance ships that had been destroyed in orbit along with fleshy drop pods of Reaper foot soldiers.It seemed like the London Alliance was finally waking up its air and land defenses. AA guns fired on the Reapers from different angles and airships began their bombardments of the massive ships. In response the Reapers unleashed their squadrons of Oculus.

Arinea let's Zack go first down the manhole into the sewers of London. Just as she is about to descend she hears the scream of a child and looks up to seeing Husks chasing a little girl and her family. Out of instinct she throws a orb of biotic energy that slams into the husks sending them flying. This grabs the attention of cannibals down the street who begin to lay down fire. Arinea throws up a biotic field and jumps down into the dark of the sewer. The cover slides back into place as she falls.

Zack slipped down the steel ladder as streaks of red and blue light from the sky framed Arinea. His hands burned from the hot slide of the steel, his boots clipping the rungs to help control his descent. When his feet hit the ground, Zack cleared the immediate area for Arinea and activated his omni-tool. It's orange light deepened the shadows around his mouth and eyes, whilst throwing his chin and nose into ominous starkness. He made some motions, selecting the torch utility. Some more motions brought up a basic map of the immediate area, it would help orientate him. Utility taken care of, Zack glanced sidelong at the asari to see how she fared.

"Sorry about that," he said dryly because when shit hit the fan you just had to be dry. "We're going to head to one of the garrisons, load up and await orders." If there were any to be had.

"You can fire a weapon?" It was part question, part statement. All of the asari he had met had been proficient marksmen, but he wasn't sure if that was an accurate representation of the race.

Arinea looked up and lifted her hand that began to glow with biotic energy, Zack heard the sound of metal warping. “There. Now we won't have to be worried about being followed. For a time at least.” The ground rumbled with explosions causing dust to fall around them. Arinea coughed and waved her hand in front of her face. She activated her Omni-tool light and looked around the sewer with slight disdain and she sighs before speaking.

“Of course, my father taught me how to fire a gun and my mother taught me biotics.” She walked over toward Zack and used the Omni-tool to look him over. “Are you alright? Are you hurt at all?” As she looked him over she looked at him with concern “I don’t want to sound uncertain in the abilities of the Alliance but we need to see if its safe. It was a slaughter up there. We need to establish contact with the garrison before we jump out of here. Otherwise it could be a trap. No offence but we don’t have the armor or guns to survive that.” She pulled up the extanet sending out messages to friends across the galaxy, telling them about the attack on Earth. When she finished News networks began to show across her screen. She looked at Zack sadly “I’m sorry but the attack is across the entire planet. There is at least four to six Reaper dreadnoughts per major city.” She looks down and begins to read the articles appearing she speaks gently “They seemed to have hit the moon as well...Zack I am so sorry.”  

She wouldn't know what communications were in place nor would she know that he had never had any intention of charging into any building. Zack reminded himself and waited patiently for her to receive her information (nothing that could help them in this moment) and stop speaking.

"Unfuse that," he pointed to the sewer entrance. He spoke gently, evidence of the time he had spent assisting in humanitarian efforts. "If they want in, that won't slow them down for long. It'll stop civilians though and they might need this entrance to escape."

"When command has two seconds to send messages to personnel, I will receive them. I am certain that they too are attempting to survive. Until then, there is nothing productive to be achieved by messaging."

"My intention is to go to the nearest garrison. Assess the situation and act accordingly. If the area is too hostile, I'll look for the criminal element to help arm us. Do you have any protests?"

Arinea looks at him with slight disbelief but nods “It is your planet, I will respect your request to unwarp the metal cover for your sewer system.” She lifts her hand and he hears the groan of metal once more. She looks at Zack and speaks “I am sorry to cause you discomfort with my lack of knowledge of Alliance protocol. Those machines are massive and there is a massive force here, even Asari would have trouble with communications.”

She shakes her head at his statement “I don’t have any protests so long as I get armed and can defend myself. Lead the way whenever you are ready, I’ll cover our back just in case of attack.” She sweeps her hand in a universal gesture for him to lead the way.

Zack bit back a laugh, the end result being a hastily repressed grin and swallowed huff. His eyes did crinkle up slightly, the light from his omni-tool pooled in his crow's feet. At her apology, he waved his hand idly, never mind, never mind. 

"I think you're better armed than me," Zack remarked dryly and led the way. Not that he was complexly helpless unarmed, although maybe he was. What was the point of unarmed combat training in the vast majority of circumstances? With your foe armed and you unable to get the drop on them. The sewer was clean, pipes with hazard symbols on them hugged the walls and unlit LEDs glinted at them intermittently. The power was out? Or being redirected? Before long, Zack paused at a sound that escaped his meagre ability to describe it.

The sound rumbled through his bones and settled, seeming to echo, in his gut. Symbols on his omni-tool hinted at what had probably just happened. His map had switched to the version he had saved to his tool last week. A symbol told him that there was connection. Zack made a face and continued walking.

"Something vital exploded. Or that was a jamming signal." He gestured to his omni-tool with his other hand. Their footsteps sounded hollow and echoed in the winding tunnel. It was reassuring in a way, anything else would make noise too.

"Guess we're back to ham radios." When in doubt, humour. Even if it was dry. Hell, did asari even use ham radios? He couldn't imagine one of those ageless aliens crouched over a radio, fiddling with dials and bouncing off signals off of the moon. That was old technology, even by human standards, only kept alive by enthusiasts.

Arinea looked at him from behind with a smile. Should she even smile in this situation? Is it appropriate? He smiled so why can’t she? He has a nice smile, it softens his features makes him more approachable. She pauses before she speaks “One of the best things to do when attacking is to cut communications and demoralize. Less organized fighting that way. It would explain why the news of the attack would get out but then suddenly cut off. Though the motives of a species that is the size of starships are not my forte.” She hears him and speaks gently “Ham radios huh? Asari had the same milestones of advancements as humans but very very long ago. We only have about five or six automobiles that ran off of crude oil in our museums back on Thessa left. If you need a reference, the Asari established ourselves on the Citadel around the 600 BCE. If I read your history correctly it was around the time the Hanging Gardens of Babylon were built. So rounded up about 2800 years…”

She walks quietly behind him for a few moments before speaking “I may be armed with my biotics but I can only attack or defend. I can make a barrier around myself with no trouble and attack but if I am pushing that barrier to defend you or others I cannot attack simultaneously. It helps to have a gun that way I am not pushing myself too much causing my biotics to fail.”

"Too right," Zack agreed amiably. The mantra 'communication was king' was echoed throughout the reaches of society. Whether you were cheap criminals looking to relieve an old lady of her purse, or if you were an admiral charged with portioning out the fleet of ships across the galaxies. There was more shrieking and explosions overhead, noises Zack resolutely ignored in favour of listening to Arinea. Last thing he needed was to dwell too closely on what was occurring and become a blubbering mess.

"What are the Hanging Gardens?" History was not his forte. The name brought to mind flowery gardens hanging from the clouds, from four ropes. Verdant green vines spilling out from the garden beds and twirling down to the earthly ground.

Hearing the screams and explosions that Zack did and seeing the creases of his eyes deepen with stress Arinea spoke of what she could remember. “According to your databases it was one of the Seven wonders of the Ancient world. From what I could gather it was a massive structure that was several stories of trees,bushes, flowers, shrubbery, that was fed with water from aqueducts. It was built by a Babylonian King for his queen who missed the green of her homeland.” She tapped her chin before speaking once more “The closest thing I can come to expressing it would be a Hydroponics on a space station. It was a island of green in the middle of your desserts, what a beautiful site that would’ve been to see back during that era of your history.”

As they continue to walk forward Arinea placed a hand on Zacks shoulder as a nearby corridor collapsed from an explosion above. She clasped a hand to her chest and took a deep breath speaking gently. “Forgive me. I was startled.” She looked around uncertain. Zack could see fear in her eyes but she took a deep breath and it was gone in a instant. She looks at him with a smirk before speaking.

“Let us continue then?”

He couldn't picture it, not really. Zack just saw a steel cylinder that thrust up from red desert rock, it's sides lashed by scouring sand. Leaves could be seen through windows but they curled away, trained to grow inside, not out.

Zack bet the mental image was nothing like what had once been reality.

He started when the corridor collapsed and Arinea grabbed his arm. She went through a rapid shift in emotions, or through an honest emotion: fear. To a dishonest one: bravado. Much like himself, very much like himself when he had been a youth.

"Alright." Zack could hear a hissing and a sloshing, a pipe burst somewhere, maybe. He increased the pace, eyes fixed ahead and ears straining. Nose too. He wanted a warning if they were about to start swimming in shit.

It was not to be. The worker's tunnel ended while the pipes diverged into the walls. A ladder pointed them towards the exit. It was noisy with fighting.

"Can you shield me if I take a peek? If there is a resistance force or a likely safe zone, we run." Zack turned to Arinea, examining her to check her emotional state and her confidence.

Arinea paused but nodded before speaking confidently “Bullets or otherwise wont get through the barrier I put on you. But don’t go out of my sight otherwise it will fail.” Her resolve steeled itself behind her eyes and then Zack felt the hairs on his legs raise. A thin blue sheen began to climb up his legs and coursed itself over his body. When it covered him from head to toe he could feel all the hairs on his body standing on end. Arinea smiles with a nod before speaking

“Forgive the sensation of static. It's your bodies natural response to a change in mass effect fields around you. It should pass after a time.” Arinea looked up at the exit and back at Zack before speaking once more. “Please be careful…”  

"Thank you and of course." It would have been churlish to say he remembered the sensation from that one time he'd been deployed in another galaxy. It would have been pointless too, with precious time wasted.

Zack smiled and gripped Arinea's shoulder firmly.

"Can't show you the sights if I'm dead." His pale blue eyes glittered with humour. Zack breathed in slightly and cast away his good humour. He set his hands onto the ladder and ascended. His hands and boots made hollow thuds against the steel rungs as he climbed. The sounds from above gained clarity as he did. Zack listened, trying to assess what was occurring. As he did, it grew abruptly quiet. Battle over. He waited patiently, listening until it had been quiet for some minutes.

He then lifted his omnitool to the panel beside the ladder. The panel and omnitool connected and communicated, Zack's display told him what he already knew, that communications to the utilities mainframe was disrupted. Emergency permissions overrode the permissions check and so the latch was released, Zack lifted the heavy lid carefully.

He saw vehicles overturned and people cooking. Legs separated from hips and brilliant blood. He saw fire and smoke and  creatures that were momentarily unrecognizable to him. Four yellow eyes and a head reminiscent of an insect, complete with a hard casing. With a jolt, he remembered fresh intel delivered by Lieutenant Vega and further supplemented by that sometimes Spectre, Commander Shepard.

Three collectors. Trailed by pods. Two grabbed a paralyzed human.

Four soldiers cut apart. They were armed.

The trio were preoccupied and they were not too close. Zack lowered the lid.

"Three collectors at 1 o'clock. Weapons close by at 9 o'clock. We go quiet. We shoot them."

Zack carefully opened the hatch and eased it carefully to the ground. He crawled out of the sewers and crouched down, watchful and alert before quietly stepping to the side until he reached the serendipitous weapons.

Arinea crept quietly near Zack and quietly with a grunt picked up a pistol. Steel glistened behind her eyes as the barrier expanded to form a sphere around them. The bugs that crawled around the frozen bodies began to buzz lowly causing the Collectors to look around. Arinea whispered quietly to Zack. “Listen, if I see it right those bugs will freeze us. I can keep them off of both of us but I won't be able to keep bullets off. So we need to make these shots count if we go out of cover.”

Just then a few of the bugs began to crawl on the barrier and flew away then into it, seeking their objective, Zack and Arinea, who were crouched behind the car. Arinea noticed this and took a deep breath “They are going to figure out where we are from these bugs so say when and lets rain down hell on them.”   

In the time it took for Zack to whisper to Arinea, the paralyzing insects had apparently returned to seek out fresh life. Or had been attracted... by what? His movement? His body heat? Zack's face twisted with his inner curse as the amber bugs buzzed over creepily frozen people. They reminded him of wax figures.

He picked up a gun as Arinea's barrier protected them from a few curious insects. Zack shoved himself against the car, hunkered down and ready to twist on his feet. Checked the clip. Plenty left - bastard hadn't had a chance to use it before being fried.

"When," Zack opened fire, aiming at one alien's head. It jolted, it's natural armor protecting it initially. The next volley of bullets however, penetrated. The head exploded in a shower of gore.

The second one had turned and raised its weapon when a bullet hit its shoulder and the gun dropped. It began to make a loud screech noise when Arinea cursed and fired again. The next bullet punctured the collector through the eye and it dropped. Arinea looked around calmly to see if there was any ambush coming from any direction. She spoke gently

“Sorry Zack I was more rusty that I realized but with more use it will come back to me.”

She kept her weapon lowered but looked at all the frozen bodies before speaking. “So what's the plan?”

Shards of metal arced over Zack's head as he ducked behind the vehicle, the third had fired as Arinea took her shot. He went low, coming out closer to the ground to shoot up towards the third collector, military training kept him cool and precise. The last dropped and Zack ducked back and scanned as the bugs buzzed, gossamer wings flicking.

"Barrier," he answered. His own cursed soft heart wanted to stage some kind of rescue for the frozen civilians but that would be a pointless exercise without anywhere to take them.

"There's the garrison." He pointed to a building tucked behind bars. The gate was blown open, metal still red from heat. "There'll be people, information, or resources there." Or enemies, but he figured that was a risk anywhere.

Arinea looks at the scrapped gate with skeptical eyes. She knew that either there was fighting or Collectors rounding frozen men and woman of the Alliance. She didn’t hear any shots coming from inside but that would mean two things in her experience. A lot of dead bodies or and ambush. She took a deep breath loading a heat sink clip into the pistol and nodded at Zack.

“I am ready whenever you are. Just remember this barrier wont hold against bullets and bugs.”  

"Hm, well." Zack dredged up some humour laying latent beneath the heavy weight of panic that was only kept somewhat under control by fierce training and an even fiercer focus on what was in his control. The entirety of the world, from the warm ocean that lapped at half submerged skyscrapers in the south, to the vast mountains that pierced the sky in Europe. All of the beauty, the recovery from the ravages of extreme weather events, the people trying to make their lives a little better, all of it under attack. Threatened by an enemy that wasn't in his reports. That had come with no briefing or analysis. Shouted down by the assumptions of the Council, though Zack did not know it, so far removed was he from the efforts of Commander Shepard.

"We'll get armour and bug spray." A cool green cylindrical can with a cloying scent. Arm the civilians with fly spray! Surely that would short circuit the collector's beetles, mess with their tracking and communications.

Or perhaps not. But the mental image amused him.

He led them to the edges of the roads, where buildings, fences and litter bins provided some cover. Belatedly he added.

"Thanks. You're a good shot."

Arinea covered her mouth at Zacks comment. Try as she might she couldn’t stop the laugh from escaping between her lips. She was trying to be respectful to the seriousness of the situation but she couldn’t so long as he continued to make such humor charged comments. She understood he was using a coping technique to offset the sheer terror of what they were facing and she respected him for it.

“Now if only would could do the same for those collector creatures.”

Going down the street with her dome of blue energy around them she could feel the strain of it on her mind. It was like a thumb pressing on her brain it didn’t hurt but it was beginning to get sore. She could hold this for about ten minutes more before the headaches would begin. She takes a deep breath and held it as the sound of Reapers droned through out the air. The fire of anti-air guns filled the air as well. Sweat began to slide past her temples and She pushes Zack against the wall firmly as they near the gate and she speaks lowly looking him in the eye.

“I can’t continue this barrier for more than about ten minutes more. Then we will have to find food and drink or a safe place to hunker down so I can recharge. I am hoping we find what we need inside and not have another fight to deal with. Now do you want point or to cover our flank when he head inside?”

"Point," Zack answered. He had grunted when the hot concrete was suddenly against his back, his hands moving reflexively to grip her arms as if he was about to free and defend himself. 

The air buzzed and shuddered. He wondered if the Blitz had been at all similar. Probably not, Zack thought. Judging by the sweat at Arinea's brow and the groaning in the air, time was of the essence. Zack extracted himself gently and led the way into some building flanked with lifeless security cameras and no bodies.

He led with his gun, casting quick and darting looks to spot any signs of immediate danger, ears straining for the hunt of something other than the cacophony in the air.

He pushed the front door open with his boot, the Alliance's insignia was engraved in the frosted glass. Immediately inside he still saw no bodies. The first room was a reception area with hard and glossy tiles. Zack indictated that Arinea should enter.

Two corridors branched off from the reception, both were framed by weapon detectors that we're as lifeless as the cameras.

"Drop the barrier," Zack commanded and looked around the reception desk. Underneath the desk were blank screens, usually they would contain the camera feeds. 

"Nine o'clock," Zack jerked his head towards his left, "is the armory. Do you need a moment?" His voice was soft.

Arinea held point as best as she could considering the mess and emptiness of the building. Looking around at the cameras she noticed that they weren't manned by anyone. She saw no signs of a struggle. These “collectors” hit this building by surprise and everyone in it must have been taken. Her heart begins to ache at the damage these losses are going to cause. These people have families, families they are no longer going to go home to. These bastards will pay, she would make sure of it.

Her mouth forms into a hard line as she hears Zacks command and without movement her barrier falls from around them and then reforms around her. She rubs her temples and looks at Zack shaking her head “No.” She begins to walk toward the armory she speaks over her shoulder “What we need to find now is provisions and as you said orders.”

She walks through the weapon detector and his remains silent and cold in the hollowed out building. She checks the next hallway with her pistol drawn it's clear but littered with data pads, as if people carrying them just dropped them and left. She speaks over her shoulder softly “Clear”.

She presses forward until she comes up to the door that reads armory and notices the keypad and the fact that the door was locked. She turns toward Zack with a frown “Locked. I could force the door open with my biotics I think. Or if you have any ideas we could try something else.”

"My omni-tool," this door ought to have local access to the server and thus his identity and clearance. Unlike the sewer tunnel, which was remote. Even if it did not work, Zack would rather find a way through that saved Arinea's biotics for a time that they would truly need it. When there were collectors or other strange aliens with murderous intent bearing down upon them. Zack lifted his omnitool to the panel and the tool sprang to life. Glowing orange and the interior circle spinning as it communicated with the panel. The server was still up, Zack supposed that only parts of the power had been cut to the building. A fuse behind a steel panel, the steel panel with a hole in it from gunfire. A fuse hit behind it. A cable cut.

The door slid open and on the other side were cameras rooted to the ceiling, their red lights indicated that this section of the building had power. The rectangular light panels on the ceiling edges however were off. The only light was that cast by the tiny red lights and Zack's omnitool. He turned it off and left them into mostly darkness. There came the gentle and soft sounds of him unholstering his gun, and then he moved forward, carefully walking in the darkness towards the door that he had glimpsed at the other end of the corridor.

The door flung open and flashlights fell upon them both, making Zack squint as humans spilled into the corridor.

"Corporal Parker, with anthropologist T'nasus," he lowered the end of his weapon so as not to startle the humans. "We encountered collectors near here." And all manner of other aliens flying overhead.

The humans turned out to be a group of three. They lowered their weapons and flashlights in turn, the lights making distorted pools of yellow tinged white on the slick tiled floor. 

"Private Ferruzza," the woman who had point said and gave Arinea an up and down look. Mild xenophobic distrust written into her features, but she waved for them to follow.

"We've holed up in here, running power from a gennie. Attempting to make contact with command, or anyone else. Can't stay here forever." The room on the other side was decorated with make shift barricades and bustling with military types of many varieties. Even some civilians, them hustled off to the side and given a pistol each. Zack noticed metal cases above the doors, he supposed they held a security door, should that be needed. It was a a secure location, but if surrounded and assaulted, a death trap. 

"Let's get this one properly equipped, you," she turned her attention to Arinea. "Your people are all some kind of soldier, correct? Do you need to access the inventory?"

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.