Somniac

A Brief Lapse of Unconsciousness

Hey there. Congrats on the RPG-I award, Architects!

I'm 29, queer, and happily taken by a partner who nudged me back into roleplaying. I used to get mistaken as an NPC on Ultima Online, and have found that the contemplative writing aspect of roleplay has more draw to me than the live action aspects.

I really dig the emphasis of communication in this community, and have made some good friends in the roleplay community by practicing similar philosophies.

For me, the ultimate plot bait tends to be an upward-punching sense of humor. I love exploring family, friend, and rivalry dynamics - especially in an action-packed setting.

What's a favorite storyline you never got to see to the end?

• Cats! 2

It looks like you're singing my sort of song! I really love thoughtful rping and my favourite rpers are always people who think a lot about how their character's circumstances/inflicted weirdness affects their character/what they do/how they do it. The answers they come up with are often clever and help make the world we're writing in feel more real.

I love not quite right dynamics. Dynamics that exist in the offbeat and can lead to some really weird outcomes or events. Particularly dynamics with a bit of a bait and switch thing going on. 

I actually don't get attached to story lines! I tend to get attached to writers, settings or characters, rather than the story we're playing out. I really miss one particular roleplayer who wrote short sharp posts that were nevertheless evocative. She kept her cards to her chest so you never quite knew where she was going with her character and her character was interesting. I really hope I run into her again.

What kinds of genres and settings do you love?

• Cats! 1

Hello Somniac! 

This is my home away from home. A very friendly place. 

I also love exploring those dynamics with different relationships between people. 

The ultimate storyline was for a game I wanted to make years ago where people would explore an island and find things. It was silly but god so fun. 

55 minutes ago, Kit said:

It looks like you're singing my sort of song! I really love thoughtful rping and my favourite rpers are always people who think a lot about how their character's circumstances/inflicted weirdness affects their character/what they do/how they do it. The answers they come up with are often clever and help make the world we're writing in feel more real.

I love not quite right dynamics. Dynamics that exist in the offbeat and can lead to some really weird outcomes or events. Particularly dynamics with a bit of a bait and switch thing going on. 

I actually don't get attached to story lines! I tend to get attached to writers, settings or characters, rather than the story we're playing out. I really miss one particular roleplayer who wrote short sharp posts that were nevertheless evocative. She kept her cards to her chest so you never quite knew where she was going with her character and her character was interesting. I really hope I run into her again.

What kinds of genres and settings do you love?

Then it might be time for a duet ♪♫

I'm fond of role reversal, exploration of power dynamics, and the plain absurd - so we've got some similar favorite themes going.

I hope she comes back, too! Sounds like she knows how to pack a punch.

As for genres and settings, I tend to play LGBT and/or PoC mains. I'm into historic settings, high and low fantasy, the occasional Harry Potter and modern setting, and once in a while I can be lured into other settings with the right bait.

58 minutes ago, Gothic said:

Hello Somniac! 

This is my home away from home. A very friendly place. 

I also love exploring those dynamics with different relationships between people. 

The ultimate storyline was for a game I wanted to make years ago where people would explore an island and find things. It was silly but god so fun. 

Hey, Gothic! Cute cat.

Treasure island, eh? Nice! What was the quaintest thing they dug up?

Thank you! 

Quaint and at the same time, plot/thought provoking! 

They found a child's shoe. 

No backstory and no signs on human civilisation (on that part of the island).

@Gothic so where'd the shoe come from??

@Somniac so! I've built a world which I'll make open soon. Just wanted to warm that world up. It's historical low fantasy. Set in Detroit in the mid 1920s and it's got cults. This is the magic write up

There are Gods, maybe. The kinds or kind that created the world and all the things in it and have books written about them and churches and monuments built to house their and his or her worshippers.

They are inaccessible to the cultist.

Then there are gods. Immortal beings of awesome power who give not one whit about mortals and what they do. But if you know the Way, the Words, the Rituals; and if you make the sacrifices, perhaps you could become immortal. Or rich. Or beautiful. Or a famous artist, dancer, singer.

Or maybe you just want to rub shoulders with the great. Maybe you were kidnapped for the good of the cult. Maybe it's the family business. After all, the gods demand much for their gifts and they do not care for your need for money or sustenance or rest. Followers are necessary to do the mundane work that support The Work.

Magic

Magic is the ability to perform a rite of sacrifice to summon a creature for a limited time, or to animate the dead. If you have done the Work and Dreamed and read the books.

Magic is creation. It is art and dance. It is singing and embroidery. It is your grandmother who knits a dizzyingly beautiful scarf and then dies, her life a sacrifice to the being that gave her the gift of inspiration.

Magic is not destruction or blunt fire. It is not lightning nor dazzling lights. It is as subtle as the eyelash on your cheek, as solid as liquid and as knowable as the impossible.

The Work

To do the subtle magics and to gain the great gifts from gods and summon beings, your character must study. There are books to be read, dense books that are read with rationality and with intuition. You must dedicate yourself to the study. Mundane work is a distraction and not suitable for the student of the occult arts.

This is why followers are important. They can support you in your Work.

There's a couple of rum running characters and another who owns a speakeasy. All of my characters bar a few are queer and if you want a character of colour, I'm not gonna sit here and expect a reason for why they're in Detroit. Are you interested?

It's cool if not! What kind of time periods do you like? I'm most familiar with Age of Sail stuff, read a bit about Deadwood's beginnings and random bits of Australian colonial history. Read WW2 literature, and am on Gothy's site so have a passing familiarity with Ancient Rome. Dunno if any of those take your fancy?

• Excited! 1

On 6/22/2019 at 2:14 AM, Kit said:

@Gothic so where'd the shoe come from??

@Somniac so! I've built a world which I'll make open soon. Just wanted to warm that world up. It's historical low fantasy. Set in Detroit in the mid 1920s and it's got cults. This is the magic write up

There's a couple of rum running characters and another who owns a speakeasy. All of my characters bar a few are queer and if you want a character of colour, I'm not gonna sit here and expect a reason for why they're in Detroit. Are you interested?

It's cool if not! What kind of time periods do you like? I'm most familiar with Age of Sail stuff, read a bit about Deadwood's beginnings and random bits of Australian colonial history. Read WW2 literature, and am on Gothy's site so have a passing familiarity with Ancient Rome. Dunno if any of those take your fancy?

First off, thanks for the detailed options! I meant to get to this sooner, but it was a combination of wanting to digest the options and being more busy than anticipated. 

I've met people born in the 20s and that just kind of winded me that that is now firmly in the Historical category lmao. Cult and semi-modern magic outside of Harry Potter might take me  a bit to warm on tbh, but I can definitely keep an eye on it.

I might be interested in Age of Sail-type shenanigans in the future. I really appreciate you reaching out to me. Right now, I'm kind of full-up for starting new things - do you mind if I hit you up when things slow down again?

3 hours ago, Somniac said:

I've met people born in the 20s and that just kind of winded me that that is now firmly in the Historical category lmao.

Sites set in the 90s call themselves historical 😶

3 hours ago, Somniac said:

Right now, I'm kind of full-up for starting new things - do you mind if I hit you up when things slow down again?

Not a problem at all! I hope life is treating you alright.

• Aww 1